Maori, Prime, Sommet etc not found on Panasonic TV or MyFreeviewHD since rescan

I did a rescan today to as the above channels weren't displaying and the channels were empty.

After the rescan, these channels do not appear on the channel listing on either my Panasonic TV or Recorder. However, they are appearing on a cheap Veon TV (connected to the same aerial as the Recorder - the signal comes out of the recorder loop-through into the TV).

The TV is Panasonic Viera TH-P42U20Z

The Recorder is Panasonic DMR-XW380

Is there some reason why the Panasonics aren't scanning correctly? Or does anyone know how this could be fixed? Is there a way of doing a hard reset on Panasonics?

Views: 5786

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Denise,

By hoizontal & vertical we're talking about the polarity, which way "X" prongs go on the aerial.

Horizontal:

Vertical:

As biggles pointed out, if the aerial is pointed at the Sky Tower, the polarity should be Vertical. If the aerial polarity is wrong, you'll get signal loss on certain multiplexes

Thanks for the pictures Bel, if you havent gathered by now I am not a tech. person but really just trying everything everyone is suggesting and very grateful for people like you and Biggles.   But what I do know is we had freeview before the 1st of May on our bog standard aerial that doesn't have those X prongs.  But we do have the Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder which I have currently disconnected to help with the manual re-tuning.

Hi Denise, no probs we all learn something new every day!  The aerials pictured are the most common "YAGI Type" UHF aerial....  Is there a picture of your aerial you could post here, a little concerned whether that could be the problem.  Or if uploading a photo is out of the question, which aerial from here does your aerial most look like?

And to clarify, just because an aerial is OK most of the time for reception doesn't mean it's fit for purpose.  Some inherent issues only rear their head when changes occur (and changes do happen and will happen, be it a broadcast or transmission change, or atmospheric or environmental changes).

Mmmmm scarely none of the pictures you sent are of my aerial.  I am going to try and attach a picture of it I found on the web.  If I purchased a freeview box would I stand a chance of getting the channels back.

Bel said:

Hi Denise, no probs we all learn something new every day!  The aerials pictured are the most common "YAGI Type" UHF aerial....  Is there a picture of your aerial you could post here, a little concerned whether that could be the problem.  Or if uploading a photo is out of the question, which aerial from here does your aerial most look like?

And to clarify, just because an aerial is OK most of the time for reception doesn't mean it's fit for purpose.  Some inherent issues only rear their head when changes occur (and changes do happen and will happen, be it a broadcast or transmission change, or atmospheric or environmental changes).

Attachments:

Hi Denise. Your picture is of a combimed VHF/UHF antenna which is horizontally poarised and won't work very well if at all with Sky Tower unless you rotate it 90 degrees so the elements are vertical. Ideally any VHF antenna should be removed for best reception of Freeview. I recommend you dump it and replace with a UHF antenna. If you must point it at Sky Tower it must be vertically polarised. If pointing at Waiatarua it must be horizontal. The fact that you had reception from Sky Tower before was probably sheer luck and it must have been a marginal signal anyway. No point in getting a STB as the result will be the same. If your TV won't tune in then nothing else will til you sort out your antenna system. As I said, if you can see the Waitakeres or if there are few obstructions in that direction then point the antenna that way. The only advantage in tuning to Sky Tower is it has Asian channels as well as Freeview.

Nice pictures Bel which explain the position nicely.

Bel said:

Hi Denise,

By hoizontal & vertical we're talking about the polarity, which way "X" prongs go on the aerial.

Horizontal:

Vertical:

As biggles pointed out, if the aerial is pointed at the Sky Tower, the polarity should be Vertical. If the aerial polarity is wrong, you'll get signal loss on certain multiplexes

Thank you both for all your assistance and guidance.  I now know what needs to be done.

Biggles said:

Nice pictures Bel which explain the position nicely.

Bel said:

Hi Denise,

Horizontal:

Vertical:

Apologies to freeview (earlier post), found problem to poor quality picture on Prime etc.

I have an analogue Sky receiver which pipes Sky via a coax UHF output on Ch 38 to all my TVs. This conflicted with the May 1st Prime, Choice retune to Ch 37. I changed the UHF output channel on the Sky menu to 40, re-tuned all TVs, good picture everywhere. Prime now 100% quality and strength.

I then thought that anyone still using an analogue VCR to play tapes although not able to tune to digital freeview may still be putting an output via coax to the TV. My old VCRs default Channel was 38 also. This may also conflict with Ch 37 Prime but this is only a guess could be wrong.

I also updated my other post

I am in Porirua and have a two year old Sony TV, and despite multiple attempts at unplugging, resetting to original factory settings, auto or manual tuning will get us any more than two shopping channels, al jazeera and APNA.  Surely this is a Freeview issue as even these channels have fallen out due to lack of signal strength over the past few days.  How frustrating that we do not know where to go to to get this issue sorted. 

If you are unable to receive all 4 mux and now the one you have been able to get has disappeared then you must have an antenna problem and or setup problem and are most likely in a fringe area. What is your location, what type of antenna and where is it pointing? Only a very small proportion of people seem to be having trouble and loss of signal is nearly always due to poor installation and setup. There is nothing wrong with the Freeview transmissions. I am on the North Shore and have a 3 year old Sony TV and a PC with Tuner card using a UHF antenna with rg6 co-ax and have never had any problems receiving Freeview since 2008. The changes on 1st May were resolved with a simple manual retune.

Hi Biggles - just thought of this today, re Denise's VHF/UHF combined antenna - do you think changing the combiner would work?  Might be a cheaper alternative in the meantime.

Hi Bel

First thing I'd try is just swinging the antenna around to point at Waiatarua. If that doesn't work then change it to vertical and point at Sky Tower. Worth a try before forking out any money. $300 sounds a bit over the top given you can buy antenna at Dick Smith for around $50 when they're often on special. $200 - $250 would be more like it. Still haven't had an answer as to location and if the Waitakeres are line of sight or not. If as she says Mt Eden is between her and Sky Tower then logic would suggest Waiatarua is the better option. I don't know how those VHF/UHF are constructed but if they have a combiner then yes, remove it and while doing that I'd remove the VHF elements as well. There is always the possibility of course of a Sky box or VCR in the house or close enough to her antenna (neighbour?) with a modulator on CH38 to be causing problems.

Perhaps Denise can give us a little more info? ie can yousee the Waitakeres. If not what's in the way. Do you watch Sky on TV via a modulator? Is it essential to use Sky Tower? If on the East side of Mt Eden Remuera infill might be possible.

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service