Standard Sky satellite dish, great reception down stairs in the tv room. Use it as an aerial for freeview not sky.

Go upstairs in the bedrooms, get no signal?

my old home, I split the cable ( 2 cables joined side by side) and was running 2 tvs off it, with 2 freeviews.

But here, I get no signal on the top floor. Confused? Moved the satellite dish around and managed to get 12% upstairs, while still getting signal downstairs. 

Any reason why this would be happening?

Views: 221

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Taylor 

Can you just confirm to me that you have plugged in two cables into the dish which goes out to your TV's? or are they the Set Top Boxes? Just needed some re-clarification as it would help get the relevant information. 

Josh

You can't use a dish as an aerial for Terrestrial Freeview. Any signal will be being received only by the length of co-ax and nothing else. I'm guessing you get just enough signal to watch down stairs and not enough upstairs. You need a UHF antenna. All that moving the dish has done is moved the  co-ax and improved the signal slightly. You'd probably get better reception by just sticking a short piece of wire in the TV's antenna socket.

I have a UHF aerial as well. Trying to get that up and running. But too high for me to move.

I have transonic freeview from the warehouse

Topfeild freeview from my son.

Both work downstairs, just not upstairs. The whole house lounge/bedrooms is plumbed for UHF, but I can't reach the aerial so I have to use the sky dish for now.

Can you just confirm to me that you have plugged in two cables into the dish which goes out to your TV's? or are they the Set Top Boxes? Just needed some re-clarification as it would help get the relevant information. 

Yes, I didnt touch anything on the sky dish itself. The black cord thats attached came with 2 cables??? stuck together. You can split it to make it go to another room without touching the connection to the dish itself.

on my sky dish I had 2 ends. Stuck together (whole cable) except for at the ends where it was seperated, so I split it down the center and got 2 cables, which I used for each preview. Worked at my old house. I moved 5 minutes away from my old house.

heres the uhf aerial. Using sky dish at the moment. Agitated with sky dish due to rain fade. want the UHF aerial up and runinng. Have lots of tv cables.

If I understand correctly you have two satellite boxes which were connected by two cables to the SKY Dish and only the downstairs one worked? Only one will work because the second cable probably is setup to look at a different satellite (D2?) than the other socket. They would both need to be connected to the same socket for both to work. If you tried swapping the two connections at the Dish you would probably find then that the upstairs Sat Box works and the other doesn't.  If you use either of the cables to try and receive UHF they won't work unless connected to a UHF antenna.

Heres my confusion. At my old house, I was able to use both cables from sky dish on 2 freeviews. Had no issues. But here 5 minute drive to the new house, I can't get the reception.

Which means, I really have to get the dang UHF aerial pointed in the right direction. Blast. Need a really tall ladder. 2 stories high. sigh.



Biggles said:

If I understand correctly you have two satellite boxes which were connected by two cables to the SKY Dish and only the downstairs one worked? Only one will work because the second cable probably is setup to look at a different satellite (D2?) than the other socket. They would both need to be connected to the same socket for both to work. If you tried swapping the two connections at the Dish you would probably find then that the upstairs Sat Box works and the other doesn't.  If you use either of the cables to try and receive UHF they won't work unless connected to a UHF antenna.



Taylor said:

Heres my confusion. At my old house, I was able to use both cables from sky dish on 2 freeviews. Had no issues. But here 5 minute drive to the new house, I can't get the reception.

Which means, I really have to get the dang UHF aerial pointed in the right direction. Blast. Need a really tall ladder. 2 stories high. sigh.



Biggles said:

If I understand correctly you have two satellite boxes which were connected by two cables to the SKY Dish and only the downstairs one worked? Only one will work because the second cable probably is setup to look at a different satellite (D2?) than the other socket. They would both need to be connected to the same socket for both to work. If you tried swapping the two connections at the Dish you would probably find then that the upstairs Sat Box works and the other doesn't.  If you use either of the cables to try and receive UHF they won't work unless connected to a UHF antenna.

Why not just use a splitter ?

Example


Taylor said:

Heres my confusion. At my old house, I was able to use both cables from sky dish on 2 freeviews. Had no issues. But here 5 minute drive to the new house, I can't get the reception.

Which means, I really have to get the dang UHF aerial pointed in the right direction. Blast. Need a really tall ladder. 2 stories high. sigh.



I saw this and followed the link, did the first steps, and signal went up to 35%, just have to move the aerial a bit more I think, http://freeviewforum.co.nz/forum/topics/photo-guide-how-to-receive-...

but I dont have optus d1 how to I get that

Does the UHF not have a coax cable already? What direction is it pointing? If not pointing towards Waiatarua it may be pointing to one of the infill transmitters so may not need shifting.

I suspect this is how you have the  freeview box connected to the wall ?

Hmmmmm .... House is  Plumbed for the UHF aerial.  Wall connection has TV written  on it and looks like this. I ony have one of these in the wall. Each bedroom has one also, Like this.

But I pulled the white plastic cover off and found the cable actually looks like this but with a white covering instead of black. Guess it makes no diff.

But screwed on to the white plastic board I pulled off from the wall is something like this, except its one piece. Its the bottom brown picture that shows itself on the switch for the aerial UHF.



Paul said:

I suspect this is how you have the  freeview box connected to the wall ?

RSS

Quick Tools

Latest Activity


Dish TV
Dish TV Support replied to Trudy knighton's discussion Lost Internet connection
"Hi It would be best if you could contact our support team while in front of the unit. Call from a…"
23 hours ago
Grant Morris replied to Grant Morris's discussion Panasonic TH-32ES500Z built in satellite tuner - no signal
"Thanks for all the advice but after trying everything I still couldn't get the dish to line up…"
yesterday
Trudy knighton replied to Trudy knighton's discussion Lost Internet connection
"The guy put in a black dish to box ... Then that looks like it plugs to our sky cable ?"
yesterday
Josh Hill ✔️ replied to Trudy knighton's discussion Lost Internet connection
"Hi Trudy Are you able to let me know what you are using to view Freeview? Is it via a box or is the…"
yesterday
Biggles replied to Mark Hunter's discussion Free view on Demand app Lg tv.
"What model TV and how have you got it connected? TV's need to be connected to a UHF antenna…"
Tuesday
Trudy knighton replied to Mark Hunter's discussion Free view on Demand app Lg tv.
"How does the Freeview work on lg tv.... We have a new lg ... Sky goes ok but can't get live…"
Tuesday
Trudy knighton replied to Trudy knighton's discussion Lost Internet connection
"Hi Josh thank you for replying... Last night I did a reset... Couldn't do the wifi at the…"
Monday
Kenny replied to Mark Hunter's discussion Free view on Demand app Lg tv.
Monday

Connect With Us!

© 2017   Created by Bel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service