Been getting some reports from viewers with missing channels (mostly from Auckland's North Shore and missing Prime, Al Jazeera, Sommet Sports, Choice TV) after a retune. 

Followed up on a few cases and they were all down to user error or set-up issues unrelated to the restackFor example, retuning a TV but not the HD receiver (in this case the TV was simply used as a screen and it's the receiver that needed to be retuned), using a satellite dish or getting signal from a shared aerial.

If you're not having success with retuning, please first work through the troubleshooting tips.

If still no joy, please reply to this and let us know the following details because it would help us narrow down the possible solutions for you - thanks!

• When your device warned you that 'All digital channel settings will be deleted' did you select OK / YES to proceed with the retune?  If you didn't then you haven't completed the retune, please select OK / YES at this step to complete the retune.
  • If you have a receiver connected to your TV, have you retuned that receiver?
  • What aerial are you using?  indoor/outdoor/type or description (if you have a satellite dish, your reception issue is unrelated to the restack, please post a separate discussion.)
  • What's your street address (don't wish to disclose?  Do a Coverage Check & state output)
  • Are you in an apartment or using a shared aerial (with a central signal amplifier)?
  • Which transmission site is your aerial pointing at?
  • What's the polarity of your UHF aerial?
  • Have you tried a COLD RESTART? Disconnect the aerial cables, switch off power at the wall, wait at least 30 seconds before reconnecting and powering on, then retune.
  • Have you REMOVED OTHER DEVICES? Disconnected ALL other devices from your TV/receiver (such as analogue VCR, DVD recorders or SKY decoders, espeically if they're connected via coaxial cable). Connect the UHF antenna cable direct to your TV or receiver from the wall (without ANY other devices in between).  Retune.  See this tip on how to adjust your RF modulator to avoid retuning interference from other connected devices.
  • Have you tried a MANUAL TUNE or MANUAL SCAN on your TV or receiver? Please see RF Chart here which states what RF numbers to plug in during this process and refer to your DEVICE MANUAL for instructions.
  • Have you tried a FACTORY RESET on your TV and receiver? Please refer to your DEVICE MANUAL for instructions on how to reset to factory default.

Views: 6195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Drew, check this out with Homecast, they're the device experts who are most likely to have a solution:

Support phone number: 0800 DTVSOL (0800 388765)
Support email: techsupport@dtvs.co.nz

Hey Willis, there's a known issue with the Zinwell restoring Al Jazeera at the moment. Check NETWORK STATUS for updates on it.  And if what Biggles suggested works let us know :) cheers

willis said:

rescanning frq 28 for al jazeera zinwell 620 could see it in the scanning list but wont store it properly comes up as a blank screen marked eastland tv

te reo & shopping channels there though from wharite

the zinwells often will not pick up on new channels although they usually find ch 500

even with a factory reset they dont always pick up on new ch.

today it switched from watching prime to tv1, and later the same night from aljazerra to tv1 and then it switched back again, it didnt switch back to prime tho.

Just a thought. Take the batteries out of your remote (or just cover it up) and see if the channel changing stops. It may possibly have faulty buttons.

Drew B said:

today it switched from watching prime to tv1, and later the same night from aljazerra to tv1 and then it switched back again, it didnt switch back to prime tho.

Thanks Bel, Biggles.

We have two of the Homecast box's and its happened on both. 2 seperate remotes, and Biggles, yeah, that would explain it changing, but not changing back as it does sometimes. It doesnt happen like all the time either just, now and then. its still a pain tho.

tho I will ring that number later. thanks Bel.

Weird indeed.

Try covering up the remote sensors on the units then. If it still does it then you can confirm it's internal to the box and not an external source.  Was wondering about neighbours with same remote. Seen that before.

Drew B said:

Thanks Bel, Biggles.

We have two of the Homecast box's and its happened on both. 2 seperate remotes, and Biggles, yeah, that would explain it changing, but not changing back as it does sometimes. It doesnt happen like all the time either just, now and then. its still a pain tho.

tho I will ring that number later. thanks Bel.

Thanks Biggles!  Hey Drew, drop Homecast a line about this - would be interested to hear what they say or if they know of a solution.

Support phone number: 0800 DTVSOL (0800 388765)
Support email: techsupport@dtvs.co.nz

Interesting comment from biggles about the channels 36 or 37 ... Aftter reading the forums about UHF reception we have managed to fix our problem with retuning a new Panasonic for most channels except the Prime, Choice , Maori channel group. The others were also pixelated or impossible until we disconnected the VCR RF in and Out - which fixed the signal strength of TV 1 , 2, 3 and that group. The RF antenna now goes direct to a splitter. However the Prime etc group is still pixelated and a scan strength is still low on those channels. We are in North Shore Auckland a the UHF aerial is a combo VHF/UHF set horizontal.
The splitter should be OK , but I am wondering how to fix. I think I used 36 last night on a manual scan (not 37) and it said "no additional channels detected". I might try 37 tonight ..any suggestions. The splitter is 5-800-odd MhZ so should be in range ?

Firstly, power down your VCR completely (unplug from the mains) and see if there is any improvement. Prime is on CH37 from Waiatarua and it's possible your VCR has rf modulator out put on CH37 or somewhere nearby. Although you have got rid of the VCR feed through there may still be sufficient signal from the VCR modulator to interfere. Using the splitter was a good idea as long as it is high quality in a diecast case with f connectors. The ones with screw connectors for the coax ends are useless.

Secondly, get rid of the combined VHF/UHF and replace with a UHF only. Also check that your is actually VHF/UHF. Many people think they have a VHF/UHF when really what they have is a Low Band VHF/High Band VHF antenna.

If it looks like this it's not VHF/UHF

http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/ANW026.jpg

If it looks anything like this then it is VHF/UHF

http://www.matchmaster.com.au/domestic/combination-antennas/01mm-ma...

P.S. Connecting an antenna to or through a VCR or older DVD recorder is totally useless now as they only have analogue tuners.

Robbo said:

Interesting comment from biggles about the channels 36 or 37 ... Aftter reading the forums about UHF reception we have managed to fix our problem with retuning a new Panasonic for most channels except the Prime, Choice , Maori channel group. The others were also pixelated or impossible until we disconnected the VCR RF in and Out - which fixed the signal strength of TV 1 , 2, 3 and that group. The RF antenna now goes direct to a splitter. However the Prime etc group is still pixelated and a scan strength is still low on those channels. We are in North Shore Auckland a the UHF aerial is a combo VHF/UHF set horizontal.
The splitter should be OK , but I am wondering how to fix. I think I used 36 last night on a manual scan (not 37) and it said "no additional channels detected". I might try 37 tonight ..any suggestions. The splitter is 5-800-odd MhZ so should be in range ?

Thanks .. Will disconnect the power and remove the VCR entirely. It was originally done that way by Sky Tech with our our CRT TVs so that we could view and record Sky / VHF TV in main room , and view the same sky channel and TV in the other room/s. The aerial is not exactly like pic,s but definitely looks like a VHF on top of a VHF. Maybe the tech installed them as 2 separate on the same post... VHF is fine for the TV1 group. I meant to remove the VCR but now makes sense about the modulator.. will try

Apols.. of course I meant VHF on top of a UHF .. and UHF is fine for ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service