Q, DishTV S7090PVR 80% Signal Strength but signal quality low & keep loosing tv

Can someone help?
Q, 80% Signal Strength but signal quality low & keep loosing tv

Satellite Receiver DishTV S7090PVR Have renewed LNB and tested with new cable, direct LNB to sat box. exactly the same 'reception'.

I'm wanting to confirm where the satbox or ?? is to blame.

I wondered if the trees on the horizon had grown, but signal strength seems good, ok & unchanged. I've tried all I can think of with the box - cycling the power when v. bad, sometimes 'helps' (maybe) sometimes doesn't.

DO I need to buy a new satbox? recommendations?

thanks.

Ian Coombes

Views: 9707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you checked the Dish alignment and LNB Skew?  Alignment doesn't need to change much to drastically affect the signal. Also try another known good box on the same setup.

Hi Ian 

A low quality level normally indicates that the LNB needs to be adjusted a little bit as Biggles has mentioned. 

It usually takes a small turn clockwise to get a strong quality signal, You will not need to align the dish (80% Signal is normal) Visit this page here to help you adjust your LNB: http://freeviewforum.co.nz/forum/topics/freeview-satellite-adjustin... 

Let us know you get on and if you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kind Regards
Dish TV Online Support

Hi DishTV
I adjusted skew so Signal Quality was maximised. It ranged between 35-45% (only?), at the time slightly improving from the "30-35%. Things were 'ok' reception-wise subsequently, although some days there still would be intermitent Signal Quality drop to 10% & sporadically lost transmission (frozen image). Now it's again all bad, back to being really bad again, the same issues. Looking at it right now - 80% Signal Strength, but sustained only 10% Signal Quality with frozen image. Sometimes dropping to 0% Signal Strength, then also at times Signal Strength also dropping from 80% to 0% at the same time.
Next advice?

Replace the LNB. I'm getting similar problems with my Sky installation. Was getting intermittent dropouts and freezing on History channel recently so I checked parameters. Signal  strength is down (40 - 60%) but quality is way down (10 - 20%) on what it was 2 or 3 years ago. The LNB is obviously slowly dying ( 7 yrs old) so I'm about to ask Sky to replace it.

Check location at 1 30pm this week for Optus D1    the dish should be in full sun  at that time ( sun transit week )

any obstructions from trees should cast shading  on dish   ( you need a clear day !! )

LNB was the firdt thing I blamed & bought new one from Dish & replced (after checking 1st using new cable direct LNB to Rx.
[also tree comments below...?]
ok. Our neighbour does have a line of large pine trees on our horizon. At very original installation I couldn't get adequate alignment. In the end I paid an expert to finally come & set up, who confirmed problems I had.
I wondered whether the trees had subsequently grown & maybe were now contributing to the problem. BUT signal strength at 80% & at such a level I thought Signal Quality should therefore be achieveable??

It only takes a branch to move in the wind or rain for the signal quality to drop from 98% to 60% or lower at our place.

You may benefit from moving the dish to a better location with a clear line of sight.

Hi Ian 

As Paul has suggested below, moving the dish to an area that is not obstructed will improve the reception and signals from your dish, try find good place that faces North West and experiment with a roof mount and a wall mount. 

The LNB shouldn't be the problem neither should the S7090PVR, if moving the dish becomes unsuccessful then please contact us for further assistance 

Kind Regards
Dish TV Online Support

Remember this week is an ideal time to check for obstructions  1 30pm is good time to check if dish is un obstructed  

Its Sun Transit Week   which means the Sun tracks directly behind D 1  aprox 1 .30 pm

NZST

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service