Does anyone who has the above box have a problem watching TV when recording 2 channels at once? We never had this problem until we moved house, now in Silverdale, Rodney. When we record 2 channels, 1 & 2 are blank and we cannot watch either of them. It is a new aerial in the loft. We are also getting pixelation on all 3 televisions. If anyone has any ideas on what is causing this, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Views: 1032

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

That's normal for a 2 tuner recorder. Nothing to do with moving house. If you are recording 2 channels on different muxes you can only watch a 3rd channel if is also on one of the mux you are recording. If you are recording say TV3 and Prime at the same time then its impossible to watch TV1 or Al Jazeera becase they are on different mux. You could however watch TV4 or Maori. Even the advertising tells you "some combinations of channels are not possible".

As for pixellation, you probably need to move your aerial out of the loft onto the roof and may also need a masthead amp. Running 3 televisions (and recorder) off one antenna in a loft is pushing the boundaries.

Hi Pat.

Normal thing to do is set the recorder to record two and watch the 3rd via the TV tuner. The Matchmaster sounds like a good idea in your situation but of course it still neeeds good input from the antenna to be successful. A masthead amp may solve the pixellation problem and allow you to keep the antenna in the loft.

We have always had pixellation on tv3 & prime.  much of the time it's unwatchable.  Suggestions about checking aerial connections etc have been followed through and the tree which possibly could have been an issue has proved not to be.  I am not techno so can only assume that the problem lies with weaker signals from those channels or rubbish parts in the tv. (Samsung).  Either way not happy with freeview.

We haven't specifically tried that.  i'm a bit reluctant to fork out more $$$$$ - but it's a good suggestion.  I'll ask around & see if anyone has one we can trial first. Thanks Patricia.

On your samsung hold down the info button on the remote for about 5 seconds. It should come up with signal reading screen.

What is the BER reading?

Hi. When I tried it just now there was no pixellation, but the readings for 'Bit Error level' fluctuated between 4 and 387 and the signal strength moved between 78 and 90.  These fluctuations were second-by-second changes.  I will try it later when the screen is pixd & see what the difference is.  What is the significance of these readings please?

The BER is bit error rate the amount of errors in the data stream

You need it to be low. High = picture breakup

A signal strength of 78 to 90 is ok. I think on the Samsungs they drop out (no picture) at around 50

But a high signal level DOES not always = low BER

Remove your antenna from the loft and place it on your roof. There is a large signal loss from having your antenna in the loft.

I have to ask why did the antenna man install an amplifier rather than move the antenna outside?

What was the BER and signal level readings on your Samsung?

I have to agree. If you have a metal roof (metal tiles or long run) then you will suffer massive signal loss. Concrete and clay tiles are generally OK. I also wonder why he installed another amp instead of relocating the antenna on the roof. No point in trying to amplify a rubbish signal. Get the antenna out in the open where an amp isn't needed or if it is needed will be amplifying the most signal strength available at the antenna rather signal that's already severely attenuated. And I'd get a different installer next time, someone who actually knows about signal strengths. Any installer worth his salt would not leave an antenna under a roof and install another amp to try and solve the problem.

nzdtv.com said:

Remove your antenna from the loft and place it on your roof. There is a large signal loss from having your antenna in the loft.

I have to ask why did the antenna man install an amplifier rather than move the antenna outside?

What was the BER and signal level readings on your Samsung?

Hold down the info button on the remote for 5 seconds when on a Freeview channel

The Signal reading screen should popup

Hi all 

Just checked the signal reading when pixellated.  2000 for the bit error & signal strength varies between 70 and 83.  Our roof is corrugated metal but the antenna is mounted outside. hmmm how do i remedy this ???

2000 is the limit on the Samsungs. Something is disrupting the signal.

If you can't relocate the antenna try raising or lowering it a few inches on the pole. Higher is usually better.

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service