Hi,

I have a Freeview Homecast HT9200DTR that has started playing up. It switches itself off every now and then and restarts itself. Sometimes the screen goes blank and it has to be turned off at the wall and restarted but then it will still switch itself off and on. I have tried factory reset but it hasn't fixed the problem. My neighbour also has the HT9200DTR and has said they are having the same problem. Any ideas as to how this can be fixed? It has only been happening in the last month.

Cheers,

Nina

Views: 2230

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a temperature or interference problem. Firstly check to see if anything else nearby (inside or outside)  is turning on or off when the problem occurs.  If its not interference related (unlikely but possible as your neighbours does it too) then take it back to where you purchased it and tell them to fix it or replace it. If it's out of warranty period it is still covered by the CGA.

Thanks! Doesn't seem to be anything that causes interference and i have had it off for long periods of time and still does the same thing. Could it be something to do with Freeview signal? 

Nina.. I suspect there is a technical issue with this receiver. Mine has just started doing this too.

If its the same as mine, you can play recorded video with no problems, it just starts the restarting thing when you are watching TV.

I've got a bit more testing to do in order to completely understand what's going on but seems something has changed to make it start doing this.

Nina..  I meant to type .. I suspect a COMMON technical issue.

I've done a bit more testing.. it appears to only be an issue watching TVNZ (1 & 2 etc) since you seem to be able to watch TV3 etc as long as you like with no issue.

Hi George, that sounds exactly the same as what mine is doing. Yes i agree there must be and issue with the receiver, something has definitely changed. Now to work out what it is and how it can be fixed! Let me know if you find out any other info. Cheers! 

Nina, if I had to guess I would say that TVNZ are transmitting an 'over the air' software update or something similar for other equipment that the Homecast can't deal with. That's just a hunch which is hard to prove.
I contacted a homecast today and they didn't pay much attention as nobody else has contacted them yet with this issue. They just said to send it in for repair.
I'm not going to yet. I think its a firmware issue. Then again, maybe they know of the problem but want the repair revenue.
I upgraded to the latest firmware I could find 1.07.3B but it didn't help anything.
I'm going to wait for a week or so and see what transpires.

All the best with it.

I think you could be right about that. When i searched online i found people had similar issues but from 2 years ago and nothing recent. Maybe i should contact them too . Will let you know how i get on. 

Yeah. I was one of them!
Homecast was new back then and they were quick to provide the firmware update which fixed it. I suspect more units are out of warranty now so they may be more interested in repair revenue than supplying firmware updates.
Maybe I'm being too cynical.
We'll see.

I have exactly the same problem. It only reboots and/or freezes when watching TVNZ, TV 2. This is definitely a firmware problem or something that TVNZ is broadcasting that causes the reboot. Its not a technical fault with unit rather an issue with the latest firmware. I suggest everyone contacts  DTVS, http://www.dtvs.co.nz/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=e2fl..., and hopefully they will investigate and release new firmware.

I notice it starting to play up on tv3 now too.
I agree its a firmware issue. I don't have faith in the company providing a free update though.
Initially when he was trying to sell them he was great with the updates. I get the feeling he now wants to get repair revenue from his installed base. He didn't enter into any discussion with me.. He just said to send it in.

I think I'll dump mine for a more established brand. If I have to spend money on it it may as well be for something that will be more reliable.

If the unit is out of warranty it is still covered by the Consumer Guarantee Act (CGA).

If it's faulty or no longer fit for the purpose i.e. keeps rebooting or freezing due to faulty firmware, take it back where you bought it and demand it be fixed or replaced free of charge in accordance with the CGA. And if it can't be fixed or replaced get a refund.

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that but even still, personally I think there becomes a time to cut your losses. Mines going in the bin.

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service