I have intermittent problems with the sound being out of sync with the picture on one or more channel.  This happens occasionally (once or twice a month) and will affect two or three channels at the same time but not all channels.  The sound can be anything from a second or two to 30 seconds before or after the picture.  This affects both tuners I have (Panasonic hard disk recorder or Samsung TV).  I have tried turning off either or both devices right back to turning power off at the wall) and this does not make any difference.  This will last for some hours but will eventually resolve itself. 

Any ideas on what causes this or how I can avoid it?

Views: 19627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ric, what programmes does the sound sync issue typically affect?

There doesn't seem to be any pattern.  All programs on a channel will be out for an hour or two then I will look and it will have sorted itself.  I last had issues with TV1 on Saturday evening.

Hey Ric, found these handy hints on the Samsung Support website for you:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshootin...

Gives you some suggested solutions to try & help you pinpoint the cause of this!

Thanks Bel.  According to Samsung, the fact that this only affects some channels at a time means it is likely to be a "service provider" issue.  My additional assumption is that because it is not the same channels each time, it is something to do with the digital transmission.  My problem is that I don't know if anyone else is seeing (and hearing) the same problem as I am.  I would have thought there would be a lot more comment about it if this was a nationwide problem.  

I have wondered if this was a result of marginal signal strength but I don't have enough knowledge of digital signal processing to know if this is even a possibility.  Would you know who I might contact for assistance with this?  Preferably someone with a vested interest in solving the problem so I don't have to pay them to troubleshoot this.

Hi Ric. The best way to determine whether it's a signal strength issue is to look at the signal quality reading in the tuning menu on your tv. The signal quality gives a graphical representation of the number of errors in the signal. In a good signal setup you should have at least 80% signal quality on each channel. If it's lower than this on any channel, you have an aerial problem. This can cause these type of lip-sync errors.
You are right to think that there would be a lot of viewers reporting this if the broadcasters had a transmission problem.

Hi Ric, agree 100% with what Mike suggested - try a signal strength test (check Samsung's website for device-specific instructions) to see if it's a problem with the aerial (majority of picture & sound issues I've come across have been related to antenna issues).

In reference to your assumption & Samsung's suggestion - it's very unlikely a service provider or transmission issue as we would've come across quite a large volume of these by now if that was the case and so far there have been no other reports.

If you'd like this resolved ASAP it's probably best to call installers and see if they can offer some on-site troubleshooting for you - aside from the manufacturer who might have a slight vested interest in providing good post-sale customer support, you're probably the one who has the MOST interest in seeing this resolved, so it's best to be realistic and be prepared to reimburse the installer for their time to fix this for you :o) get quotes beforehand so you can make an informed decision.

I have had out of sync problems with Freeview since we got it over a year ago. I have communicated with the Freeview techs and even written to the Minister's office about this. Apparently some people are able to 'ignore' this problem (a perception thing), while others such as me find the lack of synchronisation between sound and vision very irritating. I have had no resolution to this problem. Has there been any research into the proportion of people this problem bothers? Will there be any resolution? It seems to me that new technology should provide a better TV experience. Not for me (apart from the program listing).

Hi BJ, is this on the satellite service or the terrestrial service? Also, which brand of receiver do you use? Cheers, Mike

Thanks BJ.  I also find the out of sync sound distracting.  I will switch to another channel rather than put up with the problem.  The latest info I have is from Satellite and Aerial in Hamilton here.  They suggest the problem may be the result of interference from some other transmission.  They have encouraged me to put a complaint in to the Ministry of Economic Development Radio Spectrum Management team.  I guess the more responses they get the more likely they are to be able to identify any interference.

If you want to try this you have to call them and ask for their questionnaire to be mailed to you.  Either email them on info@rsm.govt.nz or call them on (03)962-2700.  They will send out a copy of the form.

I am currently waiting for the next couple of occurences so I can record the time and channels accurately.   I am not holding my breath for a quick fix!

We have a couple of TEAC on terrestial (one in set and the other a box). On satellite at beach house there are a couple of different set top boxes (two brands). All Freeview reception I have seen has shown this problem. Have discussed it with others,who do not seem to be much bothered with it. With us we can't run 2 TVs on the sam chennel or the lack of synch gives a very noticable 'echo' as well.

Thanks for the info BJ. Is it worse on some channels than others or are they all wrong? My Panasonic tv looks ok, but maybe I just haven't noticed.

are you using audio via HDMI cable

are you using an amp or processor or the internal speakers?

have you checked for firmware updates for your tv?

which broadcast site are you getting your terrestrial signal from?

you mention a samsung tv, are you using spdif for audio? there are many options.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service