Would appreciate anyone who can help with a Freeview box not receiving a signal.  Bought and installed a Dick Smith freeview box about 3 yrs ago, paid an installer to put up the UHF aerial and set it all up.  Subsequently got Sky, installed a Sky satellite dish.  Now have ditched Sky and set up the Freeview box again but no dice!  Since it was fine last time I used it, does anyone have any idea why it wouldn't receive a signal now?  thanks loads in advance.

Views: 4121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may have not been re-tuned since the frequency changes last year . Try a new AUTO Scan !!

If it's the black DSE copy of the zinwell ZMT-620 it could have dead capacitors inside that stop the tuner working. Try the rescan first, but if this doesn't work, see if you can prove the box works at another location. Maybe even take it to Dick Smith and see if it works there.

If it is one of these boxes, they run really hot and it doesn't surprise me that they have a shortened lifespan. Dick Smith should be reminded of the Consumer guarantees act and at least repair it or give you a good deal on a newer box if it's dead.

I mounted a low profile fan under the top cover and above the broadcom processor . there are a couple of spare pins with +5vand Earth  on them , on the pcb near the front panel  , extends the life of the box considerably !!

S

i'v heard of some cowboy sky installers using the existing aerial cabling when setting up a dish. check to make sure that your aerial is still connected.

Thanks Steve and Mike, much appreciated... I tried AutoScan but it says I need to enter a password.  I didn't ever set up a password!  Is there a standard one like 1 2 3 4 or 1 1 1 1?

Steve J said:

It may have not been re-tuned since the frequency changes last year . Try a new AUTO Scan !!

Thanks for that suggestion Aaron, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the problem as the Sky cabling went under the floor, not through the ceiling like the UHF so there's no reason for the Sky installer to even touch the other cables.  Will bear it in mind though if nothing else works.  Cheers

Aaron Butler said:

i'v heard of some cowboy sky installers using the existing aerial cabling when setting up a dish. check to make sure that your aerial is still connected.

Its a black DSE G7503... have no idea what that means re capacitors or overheating... can you enlighten me Mike?

Mike Gailer said:

If it's the black DSE copy of the zinwell ZMT-620 it could have dead capacitors inside that stop the tuner working. Try the rescan first, but if this doesn't work, see if you can prove the box works at another location. Maybe even take it to Dick Smith and see if it works there.

If it is one of these boxes, they run really hot and it doesn't surprise me that they have a shortened lifespan. Dick Smith should be reminded of the Consumer guarantees act and at least repair it or give you a good deal on a newer box if it's dead.

Thanks very much to all.  By trial and error I discovered the password was 0 0 0 0, ran the auto scan, and we have liftoff!  Seem to have all the channels and perfect reception.  Cheers everyone

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2022   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service