I'm a RF novice, no problem admitting it. I want to receive terrestrial HD digital in Opunake.
The Taranaki transmitter is right around the other side of lit'l old Mount Taranaki.
No likelihood of extending HD broadcast in the foreseeable future to places like Opunake (yes I know I can get satellite, and "upscale" to 1080i but that's a subject for another forum question - see elsewhere).
I could point a 91 element (or large triple folding) aerial at say Wanganui (I suspect too many hills in line of path), or possible Nelson (would need to have a more accurate idea of the direction of transmission for both transmitters there) or possible something in Wellington (pointing to Kapiti?) BUT I'm pretty sure neither aerials alone would do it.

So, fellow readers, is the distance just "impossible" (like sound the RF power quarters proportional to the distance from the source (have I got that right?))?

Would I need to "gang" 2 or 3 high gain aerials to pull in a usuable HD signal?
If so does anyone know of a suitable "diplexer" ("triplexer"?) that would combine the signals?

Has anyone experimented similarly or knows technically why such experiment would be doomed to failure?

Appreciate your comments.

Views: 876

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if they were viewing Waiatarua? that may be another option.

Other way to try my be some knife edge from the Top of Mt Egmont 

Point antenna towards the summit, If there is a nice sharp edge you may get some refraction

from its own Site at North Egmont or even further north from Mt TeAroha .

Some reflection may result from the south  but the angle may be too skewed from your location

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service