Updated 12/9/20

I identified the problem a few weeks ago and can now use Freeview if I want to, so I thought I'd post an update if anyone is interested.

I reconfigured the network so I could better see what the TV set was doing.  Freeview was attempting to contact www.googletagmanager.com and google analytics, which were both being blocked by my firewall because these sites are well known tracking sites.

Freeview may have always tried to communicate with these sites.  I hadn't looked before because it was working.  But it looks as though Freeview changes made about mid August, have either made contact with these tracking sites mandatory or just introduced it.  So, if I want to use Freeview I have to allow the TV communicate with these sites.

Updated 23/8/20

After many months of working perfectly I have now lost Freeview on this set.

I used Freeview last week to watch some content successfully. The next time I tried to use Freeview, I could not invoke Freeview with any of the keys. (red, green, OK, change channel, etc) Netflix working fine. Network test confirms set connected to the Internet.

I powered the set off at the wall for a few minutes. Freeview back and running again. Following day no Freeview again. Powered the set off at the wall again. No Freeview!

So now I cleared the cache. No improvement. Re-tuned the channels. All showing 100% or 97% signal. No Freeview.

Factory reset, re-tune channels etc etc. No Freeview.

Anyone else with one of these sets have recent problem with Freeview? If Freeview support are monitoring, have there been any changes to Freeview that might cause this set to stop working?

Regards

SOLVED!

The set does support Freeview.

I am pleased to inform the tv is now displaying Freeview.

The step that got it working was to disconnect it from mains power for a period of time and after that it worked. I had previously tried clearing the cache under network settings but that hadn't helped.

I had disconnected the tv to get to the back of it to take photos of the serial plate.

I can only speculate why the tv failed to display Freeview, but it was the last feature I tried. I initially powered the tv up with no network, then a few days later connected it to a wireless network to investigate the smart features. A few days later I then changed to a wired network. Both wireless and wired were confirmed connecting through the router to the internet.  And finally I tried Freeview with no success.

After disconnecting and reconnecting the power the tv immediately had a network connection.  That maybe the crucial fact.

Thanks for the help.

Hello

I bought a Philips 65PUT6703/75 from PBTech during their boxing day sale.

The set is connected to broadcast tv with a uhf aerial.  Channels are showing 100% signal strength.  Network settings of the tv are showing an active broadband internet connection.  HbbTV options are all on.  It should just work.

But the tv will not display an aspect of Freeview.  No Freeview programme guide or mini menu when changing channels.

I now suspect that this model of Philips TV does not support NZ Freeview.

I'd like to hear if anyone does have Freeview working on this particular model of Philips TV and if so what firmware version and if there are any tricks to get it working.

Thanks.

Views: 2785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your suspicions are probably correct. Though it is a different model see https://freeviewforum.co.nz/m/discussion?id=6513406%3ATopic%3A83973

Hi Cliff,

Do you remember the model number of your TV?

Regards, Nick

Cliff Baker said:

Your suspicions are probably correct. Though it is a different model see https://freeviewforum.co.nz/m/discussion?id=6513406%3ATopic%3A83973

Mine was 55PUT6800. Loved it all other aspects - the ambilight, swivel stand and remote that opened out to reveal keyboard. 

The info on the Philips website for your one mentions Freeview live - on demand https://www.philips.co.nz/c-p/65PUT6703_75/6700-series-4k-ultra-sli... If it hasn't already got the latest firmware (July 2019)upgrade to it. Can download it to a usb drive at https://www.philips.co.nz/c-p/65PUT6703_75/6700-series-4k-ultra-sli... and upgrade manually

After many months of working perfectly I have now lost Freeview on this set.

I used Freeview last week to watch some content successfully. The next time I tried to use Freeview, no response to any of the Freeview keys. Netflix working fine. Network test confirms set connected to the Internet.

I powered the set off at the wall for a few minutes. Freeview back and running again. Following day no Freeview again. Powered the set off at the wall again. No Freeview!

So now I cleared the cache. No improvement. Re-tuned the channels. All showing 100% or 97% signal. No Freeview.

Factory reset, re-tune channels etc etc. No Freeview.

Anyone else with one of these sets have recent problem with Freeview? If Freeview support are monitoring, have there been any changes to Freeview?

Regards

No UHF changes were made Nick, 

It's interesting that you can no receive any channels, where are you based?

Josh 

Josh
I think Nick means that he can get the Freeview UHF channels but can't get the Freeview+ on demand to work consistently - Nick could you confirm that? On my Sony TV it looks like the Freeview+ s/w was updated on August 18 & seems to be working fine. You could check your version and see if that date gels with when it stopped working for you.

As a work around, you could try installing the TVNZ and Threenow Android TV apps and I believe there is now a Freeview Android tv app but I haven't tried it. Should be able to view the same on demand programs via these apps but they will require new logins.

Hi Cliff

And Josh if you are listening.

Thanks for your input. Yes, you are correct. I am receiving UHF channels fine, but I have no Freeview whatsoever.  It is as if the TV does not have Freeview capability.  Remote buttons (green, red, ok, channel change) that would normally invoke some Freeview response do nothing.

I have done a tcpdump of the set's network activity and I can see that when switched on from the remote it makes contact with the Freeview server.

"GET /1.16.2/index.cehtml? HTTP/1.1
Host: hbbtv-prod.fvpnz.co.nz"

"If-Modified-Since: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 01:22:38 GMT"

So I agree with you Cliff that something that Freeview introduced 18 Aug has broken Freeview on my set.  The set now has an index page (and others) that are not compatible with the set.

If I power the set off from the mains the tcpdump after that shows the set updating encryption keys (not from Freeview) and also checking in with Philips for firmware update (I think that's what's happening) and many other things.

Cliff Baker said:

Josh
I think Nick means that he can get the Freeview UHF channels but can't get the Freeview+ on demand to work consistently - Nick could you confirm that? On my Sony TV it looks like the Freeview+ s/w was updated on August 18 & seems to be working fine. You could check your version and see if that date gels with when it stopped working for you.

As a work around, you could try installing the TVNZ and Threenow Android TV apps and I believe there is now a Freeview Android tv app but I haven't tried it. Should be able to view the same on demand programs via these apps but they will require new logins.

BUMP!

Josh are you listening?  Can I get some feedback on this issue please.  I am of the opinion changes made to Freeview about the middle of August are responsible for my set ceasing to support any Freeview service whatsoever.  The set is under warranty and very clearly sold supporting Freeview.  Now it doesn't.

Nick said:

Hi Cliff

Thanks for your input. Yes, you are correct. I am receiving UHF channels fine, but I have no Freeview whatsoever.  It is as if the TV does not have Freeview capability.  Remote buttons (green, red, ok, channel change) that would normally invoke some Freeview response do nothing.

I have done a tcpdump of the set's network activity and I can see that when switched on from the remote it makes contact with the Freeview server.

So I agree with you Cliff that something that Freeview introduced 18 Aug has broken Freeview on my set.  The set now has an index page (and others) that are not compatible with the set.

If I power the set off from the mains the tcpdump after that shows the set updating encryption keys (not from Freeview) and also checking in with Philips for firmware update (I think that's what's happening) and many other things.

Cliff Baker said:

Josh

I identified the problem a few weeks ago and can now use Freeview if I want to, so I thought I'd post an update if anyone is interested.

I reconfigured the network so I could better see what the TV set was doing.  Freeview was attempting to contact www.googletagmanager.com and google analytics, which were both being blocked by my firewall because these sites are well known tracking sites.

Freeview may have always tried to communicate with these sites.  I hadn't looked before because it was working.  But it looks as though Freeview changes made about mid August, have either made contact with these tracking sites mandatory or just introduced it.  So, if I want to use Freeview I have to allow the TV communicate with these sites.

Thanks for your help Cliff in advising that the Freeview software version had changed. There is nothing on the Freeview site to advise of a change.  When Freeview stopped working the weather was stormy in Auck. so I at first suspected a reception issue and wasted time checking that.

Nick said:

Hi Cliff

Cliff Baker said:

Josh

Hi Nick, are you able to help me at all? I just bought this tv from on tech and when I try use the on demand it just goes back to ordinary tv channels

There is a firmware update for this set dated 25/9/2020.  Freeview on my set stopped working until I loaded this.  You can find it here:

https://www.philips.co.nz/c-p/65PUT6703_75/6700-series-4k-ultra-sli...

When I updated my set a month or more ago the set did not find any firmware updates directly from the internet.  That may have changed now.  Try that first, and if the update is not found you need to load it from a usb drive.

Download that file into the top level directory of the usb drive and follow the manual how to update the firmware to the set.

The manual describes what sounds a more complicated process that also works.  From memory you need to prepare the usb drive on the tv first.  I think the model number gets written to the drive and then on your pc it gets directed to an international site and downloads the correct firmware to the drive automatically, and then you put the usb drive back in the tv etc.

When I did my set all the settings including logins were retained which is good news.

The user manual for the tv is also on the page linked to above.  Update the firmware and report back.

Good luck!

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much! After a tedious time trying I got it on the USB and all done!
Thanks for the help :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service