Hi there

I have never used this forum before so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

We have freeview built into our tv and receive most channels between One and C4 except for Prime, Choice tv etc onwards.

I have tried retuning and resetting my tv but the same channels just show up.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do I get the other channels?

Thanks

Views: 2595

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

We're having problems with some channels in Nelson as well

Hi Geenaak 

it is likely that your aerial is not excatley aligned correctly to your transmitter.
"Kordia Mux" is a band that holds Prime and Choice and all the local digital channels and that is what you can't receive. 

The best option is to get the aerial lined up to the transmitter, you can do this by yourself or call your local installer/aerial servicemen. 

Let us know if you have the issue rectified. 

Hi Geenaak,

If you have the cable from the UHF aerial plugging into a DVD or VCR before going into the TV, then plug it, from the wallplate, directly into the TV and do an autotune again.

I don't know what channel the Kordia mux is transmitting on in your area, but in the Waikato we have a lot of problems with the digital muxes clashing with the output channels of DVDs and VCRs.

In other words, a DVD might be trying to "talk to the TV" on exactly the same frequency(channel) as an incoming digital mux, and so the TV has trouble picking up those digital channels.

Please post a reply if you now get those channels that you're missing and I'll tell you how to connect up your TV from now onwards.

Cheers,    WildBill.

Hi Geenaak,

I've had the same problem in the past - turns out we had some trees growing in front of our UHF aerial, which with time got taller and completely obscured the signal path.  So trimmed the trees back and re-aligned the aerial (as suggested by Joshua) did the job.

Hope that helps!

Hi,
I'm having issues with those channels too in Dunedin. My wall aerial goes through my hard drive recorder before going through my TV. If I'm recording a programme, I get no signal for those channels on my TV, but I do get a signal through my recorder by using the second tuner (that's if I'm not recording two programmes at once). I'm interested in knowing how I can hook up my recorder to my TV so I can actually record two programmes and watch a third channel on my TV without any problems.

Hi Shell,

Assuming you're using a UHF aerial to receive signal and your TV is a post-2008 flat-screen TV with Freeview|HD receiver built in, the easiest way I can think of is to put a splitter on the UHF lead coming out of the wall, splitting it into 2 cables, with 1 going into the digital recorder (which would only be used for recording), and the other going directly into the TV with Freeview|HD built-in (which would only be used for viewing.

You can then connect a HDMI cable from the recorder to the TV so you can still watch recorded programs on the digital recorder (basically using your TV as a screen when you do that).

HOWEVER - the fact that you're getting no signal suggests there's something not quite right with your set up...maybe it's better to sort that first before using a splitter (which may further affect signal & reception subsequently...adding any more connections to the current set-up would).

And maybe someone else can suggest a more elegant solution as well?

In any case I'd definitely get that "no signal" problem resolved BEFORE doing anything else!!!

Bel said:

Hi Geenaak,

I've had the same problem in the past - turns out we had some trees growing in front of our UHF aerial, which with time got taller and completely obscured the signal path.  So trimmed the trees back and re-aligned the aerial (as suggested by Joshua) did the job.

Yes Bel & Geenaak,

The UHF frequency has very similar characteristics to a light beam, so you really want to be able to physically see the transmitter to guarantee a reliable signal.

If a tree grows up blocking your line of sight, then it's just like shining a torch at a tree - the light beam (or UHF signal) fractures and breaks up. Sometimes a branch will block only one of the three muxes or, as the wind blows, the branch moves in the wind cutting through the signal path, and so you get your TV picture cutting in and out.

That's why heavy rain is also a problem; Because, just as a torch light doesn't travel nearly as far on a rainy night, the UHF signal also gets dissipated away.

Cheers,   Wild Bill.

I've just downloaded the latest firmware available on  www.dishtv.co.nz  and I'm hoping that might help. As my receprion problems are intermittent, I'll have to wait to see if I'm successful or not.

Hey Valerie,

How did the firmware update go?

And just out of curiosity - anyone tried adjusting the aerial for you? Just in case it's no longer pointing right at the transmission tower? Sometimes they can get pushed out of position (strong wind / large birds / cats!)

Few degrees out and you could get intermittent reception probs - going from Bill's light beam analogy (really awesome way to explain it actually) - you want the beam to hit the aerial straight on.

The firmware update changed the way it faulted, but didn't fix it. The picture froze, but the sound continued.

This afternoon I had a technician look at it. He went onto the roof and checked the signal at the aerial and made an adjustment. The aerial was still facing the right way and everything was still attached, but he altered thhe signal strength at the aerial. So far it looks alright, but since the fault has been intermittent, but more frequent recently, I'll have to wait and watch, so to speak!

Bel said:

Hey Valerie,

How did the firmware update go?

And just out of curiosity - anyone tried adjusting the aerial for you? Just in case it's no longer pointing right at the transmission tower? Sometimes they can get pushed out of position (strong wind / large birds / cats!)

Few degrees out and you could get intermittent reception probs - going from Bill's light beam analogy (really awesome way to explain it actually) - you want the beam to hit the aerial straight on.

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service