Hi we live way out of just about every sort of coverage except radio and satellite so our Internet and TV both come to us via satellite. We have  a Dish TV s8300 which is not connected to the internet (no wireless or broadband network connection). It is running  SW version 1.07 build Aug 9 2018 which seems quite old.  It was great when we first got it less than a year ago But now it has started having problems with the way it records programs and I am wondering if anyone on the forum may be able to help.  The main issue seems to be that it starts recording properly 1 min before the program starts per the settings but ignores the end of the program setting (5min after the end time) and just carries on recording sometimes for days if I am not there to manually stop it.  It has started saying it is time to look for updates which would be great if it could but that wont be at all easy

So  I had hoped to do a software upgrade via SD card but the firmware does not download (no link to the actual file).   Since there is nothing searchable on the forum about this particular problem I thought I would post here first rather than ring Dish TV in case it may help the next person.

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mark, 

I may suggest you email Dish TV and request a USB to be sent tom you for you to load the software into the unit, they can do this for you if you have troubles with the recommended options. A software update does help patch up any bugs and issues. 

Let us know how you get on?

Josh

Hi Josh thanks for the quick reply, I could download the Firmware update if it were available but it is not (on the Dish TV site anyway) this link from their /downloads page is not a download link, chrome just tries to open the link in ASCII text

https://www.dishtv.co.nz/image/catalog/Firmware/DIS012_11_0109.usb

I could muck around making a bootable drive out of a .usb file but that is not going help the average user

right click and save file as as this is a .usb file which can go directly onto the USB and into the receiver.

Mark Denize said:

Hi Josh thanks for the quick reply, I could download the Firmware update if it were available but it is not (on the Dish TV site anyway) this link from their /downloads page is not a download link, chrome just tries to open the link in ASCII text

https://www.dishtv.co.nz/image/catalog/Firmware/DIS012_11_0109.usb

I could muck around making a bootable drive out of a .usb file but that is not going help the average user

Yeah I did look at that but the .usb file is a most satellite unfriendly 69.5Mb! which is alot compared to a .zip

Ok I managed to download it in a couple of hours (most unfriendly!) and upgrade using a USB from 1.07 to 1.09 in a couple of minutes all good so far (it restarted and still had the old recordings).  I have programmed a few random recordings tonight and hope to see if the SW upgrade fixes the issue without adding any new bugs... I will report my findings!

Thanks for your update Mark. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Josh

OK so far so good, either the new software or at least as likely the reboot has resolved the problem. no contact so far from Dish TV. So my advice to anyone in the same position (s8300 recordings not stopping) is to upgrade the firmware,  At the moment the only way to do that if you do not have wireless broadband seems to be to save a 69.5Mb file to a USB and load it into the box manually

What I would do differently next time is do it after midnight when the satellite broadband package I have is is both faster and cheaper.

Kia KAHA

Mark

OK onto the next upgrade via USB... It seems that the S8300 has a bug that when it decides it needs an upgrade it stops knowing when to stop recording (i.e.1 news records for 24 hours or so), unfortunately this means it has trouble doing the other recordings as there are often too many happening at once when they are all 24 hours. God knows how it knows there is an upgrade available.. if i could turn this off I would!

BUT this time when I downloaded the USB file and tried to apply it I continuously the most unhelpful message "operation not allowed" sigh...

This a most unfriendly box, Does anyone know how to make the function to upgrade by USB allowed?

Best contact the team from DISH TV regarding this 
www.dishtv.co.nz 

Mark Denize said:

OK onto the next upgrade via USB... It seems that the S8300 has a bug that when it decides it needs an upgrade it stops knowing when to stop recording (i.e.1 news records for 24 hours or so), unfortunately this means it has trouble doing the other recordings as there are often too many happening at once when they are all 24 hours. God knows how it knows there is an upgrade available.. if i could turn this off I would!

BUT this time when I downloaded the USB file and tried to apply it I continuously the most unhelpful message "operation not allowed" sigh...

This a most unfriendly box, Does anyone know how to make the function to upgrade by USB allowed?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service