Disappearing channels, and appalling reception with what's left - TV1, TV2, Weather, and Trackside

We used to have all the free channels, including TV3, Prime, Choice, Maori etc as well as the TVNZ stuff but a couple of weeks ago the TVNZ channels starting getting really dodgy, with pixellation and sound out of synch etc etc.  In the last few days this has become impossible to even watch anything at all on the TVNZ channels - so I did the reset of the box,  which succeeded first in leaving us with 11 channels (TVNZ and TNNZ pluses etc) but it dropped ALL other channels. So I followed the freeview advice and that of the DishTV website, and attempted to retune (hindered by the fact that there was no 'autoscan' option in the retune function, as there was supposed to be...) so chose the Optus D1 or whatever it was, and ended up with only 8, so went back to the factory resent - and now we have only FOUR - TV1, TV2, Weather, and Trackside. What on earth is going on???? How can I get back ALL the Freeview channels? This is CRAZY!!!

Views: 1139

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Grumpy, it sounds like your LNB is faulty. It's the part in front of the satellite dish. How old is it? They tend to last for 10 years or so.

It could be other things like the dish out of alignment or a cable problem, but I would suspect the LNB first. Get it replaced and enjoy trouble free viewing.

I don't know, because we only moved in here a few months ago - it is grey, like most old crocks!! It is since the really bad storms that it has got so bad, but it hasn't actually moved, and feels pretty solid so I don't think alignment is the problem - at this end, anyway. Will have it looked at tomorrow - is it an expensive thing??!!

Depending where you live, it might be better and cheaper to try to receive Freeview UHF with an aerial. If you need to get a new LNB it might be better to get an expert in to replace and align it. Not a hard job, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Hi Grumpy Grrrrl,

If it's only been playing up since the storm, and getting more and more problems, I suggest you try a "power reset". - Disconnect the power to the receiver for 30 seconds, plug it back in and do a full scan again.

There may have been a power glitch during the storm which has spiked the receiver.

Cheers,    Bill.

Second what Mike & Bill have suggested Grumpy Grrrrl!!!

In case you need it - here's the coverage check (enter your full address for as accurate a coverage estimate as possible): http://www.freeviewnz.tv/coverage.aspx

And just a note that your existing satellite receiver will not be compatible with a UHF aerial, a Freeview|HD digital receiver will be (or if you've got a post-2010 flatscreen TV, it most likely will have Freeview|HD built in, if that's the case then a UHF aerial plugged directly to the TV will pick up all the Freeview|HD channels available after tuning them in).

If you've moved into the property recently, might pay to check if there's already a UHF aerial installed - it might look like one of these.

Please let us know how you get on!

Mike G said:

Depending where you live, it might be better and cheaper to try to receive Freeview UHF with an aerial. If you need to get a new LNB it might be better to get an expert in to replace and align it. Not a hard job, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service