2008 model Sony Freeview TV fails to properly render Maori / Te Reo HD channels

It’s fairly clear that there is a technical issue between certain Sony models of older 2008/2009 vintage and the terrestrial transmitted signal from Maori / Te Reo HD.  In short the frame rate is uneven, making the transmission unwatchable, see video below. The picture is otherwise perfectly sharp.

http://napierwebcam.nz/Maori_HD.mp4


Models affected so far are:

KDL32V4000
KDL40W4000
KDL46W4500

On geekzone I am told that these transmissions use a different “mux.”

How can we get appropriate attention paid to this issue?

To keep this thread readable please don't post if your SONY TV "works" unless it is one of the models listed above.   If your SONY TV exhibits the performance shown in the video below please indicate the model number and geographic location to improve our case with SONY/Maori TV.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Confirming that I have this problem on my Sony KDL40W4000 TV. I live in Auckland.

Problem possibly appears to be the encoding that Maori Television are using that isn't compatible will all Freeview Certified devices. The picture freezes/jumps frames every 1-2 seconds.

I also have a Samsung TV that doesn't exhibit the issue.

Can somebody from Freeview please check if Maori Television's transmission conforms to all of Freeview's technical standards?

Thanks

I'm the one in Ak with the KDL32V4000. I've now replaced my aerial as there was some corrosion there. My aerial direction is towards Pinehill on the North Shore, and I can confirm that the signal strength as indicted by the Sony TV technical setup, is excellent.

However, the problem with Maori TV and Te Reo is still very much evident as described previously and by the others here. 

As a technician I can confirm that this is not a aerial or connection issue. It is probably a combination of the MUX that these channels now use, and the inability of the Sony TVs to correctly de-MUX these signals.

If someone with more specific digital TV transmission knowledge could illuminate us, we would be very grateful (and even suggest a possible solution - apart from having to buy a different brand of Freeview TV, that is)!!

Alan, you are the second KDL32V4000 in Auckland, the other is in Ponsonby.  Thanks for reporting this.

-Paul

So far the Sony models affected are:
KDL32V4000
KDL40W4000
KDL46W4500

Hi Haresh, 

I had this followed up last week and Maori TV has followed the transmission specs and testing before this mux went on air.  What I can do is send through a report to the team and they can look into it with SONY. 

Thanks 

Josh

Haresh Bhana said:

Confirming that I have this problem on my Sony KDL40W4000 TV. I live in Auckland.

Problem possibly appears to be the encoding that Maori Television are using that isn't compatible will all Freeview Certified devices. The picture freezes/jumps frames every 1-2 seconds.

I also have a Samsung TV that doesn't exhibit the issue.

Can somebody from Freeview please check if Maori Television's transmission conforms to all of Freeview's technical standards?

Thanks

Thanks Josh.

Josh Hill ✔️ said:

Hi Haresh, 

I had this followed up last week and Maori TV has followed the transmission specs and testing before this mux went on air.  What I can do is send through a report to the team and they can look into it with SONY. 

Thanks 

Josh

Haresh Bhana said:

Confirming that I have this problem on my Sony KDL40W4000 TV. I live in Auckland.

Problem possibly appears to be the encoding that Maori Television are using that isn't compatible will all Freeview Certified devices. The picture freezes/jumps frames every 1-2 seconds.

I also have a Samsung TV that doesn't exhibit the issue.

Can somebody from Freeview please check if Maori Television's transmission conforms to all of Freeview's technical standards?

Thanks

As a matter of interest I've just checked Maori TV (from Waiatarua) this morning on both my Sony EX720 and Panasonic BWT720 and no problems evident. The problem must be limited to some specific brands and models of TV/Recorder. Only problem I had with the Panasonic was having to manually edit the Channel List after manually tuning the correct MUX. Maori TV came up on logical channel 804 til I swapped it with channel 5. The Sony put it on the correct logical channel automatically.

Hi Guys 

Just an update, Kordia made changes to the transmission yesterday morning. For those who are affected please let me know if you are experiencing the same issues or if the problem has been fixed as I'll get in touch with Kordia to confirm that the problem is solved. 

Regards
Josh

Josh, I checked and the problem is still there, particularly noticeable when there are a lot of changes in the scene.  In particular the Te Reo station ID with the moving green jade jitters once or twice as it rotates.

I was under the impression that the MUX was "MTS," not Kordia, if that's even relevant?

Thanks for your efforts,

Paul

Hey Paul

Thanks for that, I'll pass this info through,

Kordia mantains the transmission on their transmitters and they are responsible for ensuring that the content broadcasts as it should. They also manage the Satellite Transmissions too. 

Please let me know if you see a gradual improvement. 

Josh

Paul said:

Josh, I checked and the problem is still there, particularly noticeable when there are a lot of changes in the scene.  In particular the Te Reo station ID with the moving green jade jitters once or twice as it rotates.

I was under the impression that the MUX was "MTS," not Kordia, if that's even relevant?

Thanks for your efforts,

Paul

Josh, I think there may be a slight improvement but it is very subjective. On Maori TV the 4:3 program on right now shows very few issues while the panning of river scenes on Te Reo shows the issue clearly.

I can make another video anytime if that's helpful, just ask.

thanks!

If you could make another video that will be geat.  send it through on my PM 

Josh

Paul said:

Josh, I think there may be a slight improvement but it is very subjective. On Maori TV the 4:3 program on right now shows very few issues while the panning of river scenes on Te Reo shows the issue clearly.

I can make another video anytime if that's helpful, just ask.

thanks!

Checked the service on my TV the other day. Service has improved but still has some issues.

No longer getting the freeze or jump in frames every 1-2 seconds. What happens now is that video appears fine for a short while but I think on movement the video starts to lag and suddenly you see video going faster than normal speed until it catches up to the audio. This repeats at irregular intervals.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Quick Tools

Latest Activity

Rob Barr replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"Ah yes better picture quality on uhf, good point, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the…"
Friday
Biggles replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"Well Optus D2 is of no use anyway as Freeview and Sky are on Optus…"
Friday
Rob Barr replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"Thx B, satellite only was my conclusion too, but still scratching my head around how the confusion…"
Friday
Josh Hill ✔️ replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"Hi Guys,  I am looking at a article to publish on this forum to help with the difference of…"
Dec 8
Biggles replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"P.S. If it's any help here is a screen shot of my Android Box settings for Optus D1."
Dec 8
Biggles replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"It's a Satellite Receiver and no way will it work on UHF. Found a manual for it…"
Dec 8
Rob Barr replied to Rob Barr's discussion Sattelite or UHF?
"Part 2 ... the house has an old sky satellite on the roof, but not used for many years. I repaired…"
Dec 8
Rob Barr posted a discussion

Sattelite or UHF?

Ok long story ... I've an arielbox ultra T1050PVR, which picks up UHF with good clarity. But every…See More
Dec 8

Connect With Us!

© 2017   Created by Bel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service