I have a Sony KD-65X7500D tv and on demand hardly ever works.  It plays the first ad but then just has the loading circle.  I've emailed about this a couple of times but get a standard reply of we've passed this onto the technical team.  It doesn't work on any of the available channels and it's the same for any program we try to watch.  My TV is up to date and I did read on another post that there was an update available to download onto a USB but it wasn't for my model of TV.  It's been like this for well over a month now and is super frustrating!!!

Views: 1709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

May I ask who you emailed your report to? SONY or via the Freeview On Demand Website Form? 
A new release of Freeview Ondemand is due to be released soon,

Kindest Regards,

Joshua

It was Freeview.

Hi there

Had exact same issue on NEW Sony Smart TV.

It does not do it anymore though.

Not 100% sure But think it was

Settings

About

Restart

Cheers

Dean

Thanks Dean, I'll give that a whirl.  Yeah, TV is less than a year old so pretty disappointing it doesn't function properly.  Thanks for the reply!

We have the same issue with KD-65X8500E loaded with PKG6.2858.0082PAA whihc according to the Sony website is the latest available.  Nevertheless the reply I gto from Freeview Plus help was same as yours - to suggest we download the latest firmware on a USB...  

We only really use On Demand for TVNZ to watch old episodes of a show and we have to restart the TV daily to escape the TVNZ logo black screen of death.  In the previous version of the Freeview app the symptom was slightly different with the freeze happening after 1 Ad played.  But now the improved verison at least freezes immediately and we don't have to watch an Ad first.  

Also tough to escape the On Demand app - if you d get to watch something you end up having to traverse multiple Back menu options in the app to get to a point where you can view Live TV once more.

I'm hoping to get proof from Freeview that the app is fine so I can petition Sony for a replacement TV.  But, I'll bet there will be some finger pointing going on here - TVNZ said it's not them cos it's bundled with the Freeview app.  Free view imply it's not them it's the firmware on the TV.  It'll be interesting to see what Sony say once I log it with them.

Oh wow Paul, you have absolutely hit the nail on the head here.  And as you can see, I have been offered absolutely no help by Freeview as usual.  It still doesn't work and still drives me a bit crazy so I was also wondering who was responsible and where the blame lies.

I have exactly the same issues as you in every single way you have said and have also been told by TVNZ that this is not their problem, but it is a Freeview problem.  

All I really want is to know who is at fault and if there is a fix, but I can't even find someone who can tell me who to talk to!

Do let me know how you get on with Sony.  I'd be interested to see if it could really be the firmware at fault or if it is just another case of passing the buck.    Thanks for posting!

Hi there, we have a new Sony T.V. purchased three weeks ago and I have experienced total frustration try to get TV ON demand working.  After being led to this forum page and reading your discussions I now realize our Sony T.V. is doing exactly the same.  With the new free view plus the whole screen is freezing where before only one ad would play as well.  I had previously emailed TV NZ and was told it was a freeview issue and then was led to this forum page.  I am beginning to think that I will try returning the  TV back to the store that we purchased it from as it sounds like there is a fault with the software.

Oh, well this is interesting!  Maybe it is a TV fault afterall.  I just found it so disheartening that there were so many faults listed for various makes and models of TVs on the Freeview page that it had to be a Freeview problem.  Maybe it is actually a Sony problem though.

Annette Pepperell said:

Hi there, we have a new Sony T.V. purchased three weeks ago and I have experienced total frustration try to get TV ON demand working.  After being led to this forum page and reading your discussions I now realize our Sony T.V. is doing exactly the same.  With the new free view plus the whole screen is freezing where before only one ad would play as well.  I had previously emailed TV NZ and was told it was a freeview issue and then was led to this forum page.  I am beginning to think that I will try returning the  TV back to the store that we purchased it from as it sounds like there is a fault with the software.

I gave up trying to watch ON DEMAND on my computer as it refused to work with my Linux based computer. (rival to Microsoft Windows). At that time I queried it with on demand and they said Linux was not compatible. Most smart TVs and such devices these appear to use the Linux operating system and a web browser (usually "Opera")

I have just tested my Linux laptop and it can now access On Demand so it appears that Linux is now compatible with it. What you need to do is update the Linux operating system. We have a Sony TV and can update it via the wifi or LAN cable. The older ones may require downloading the update onto a USB stick.

Note that it is not a "fault" with the software it is just network security and video codecs are evolving which is why all OSs regularly release updates. Even MS Windows.....

What model Sony?

Hi Graeme,

Yes, I understand they update regularly.  My TV automatically updates its software and I have double checked it has the latest version running.  It appears it doesn't make any difference to on demand whether it's updated or not unfortunately.

The model is KD-65X7500D.

Thanks.

Graeme Simpson said:

I gave up trying to watch ON DEMAND on my computer as it refused to work with my Linux based computer. (rival to Microsoft Windows). At that time I queried it with on demand and they said Linux was not compatible. Most smart TVs and such devices these appear to use the Linux operating system and a web browser (usually "Opera")

I have just tested my Linux laptop and it can now access On Demand so it appears that Linux is now compatible with it. What you need to do is update the Linux operating system. We have a Sony TV and can update it via the wifi or LAN cable. The older ones may require downloading the update onto a USB stick.

Note that it is not a "fault" with the software it is just network security and video codecs are evolving which is why all OSs regularly release updates. Even MS Windows.....

What model Sony?

OK We have

Sony KDL-40W660E

We use a satellite freeview receiver. The on demand content is coming through the freeview reciever.

The TV is not showing on demand app as an option but works fine with Netflix and youtube. Perhaps Sony have dropped the on demand app from their options?

Update

I tried accessing On demand through the web browser app on the TV.

When attempting to play it gave message that the necessary DRM plugins are not enabled. This is what I used to get on my laptop so it suggests Sonys browser is not up to date in this respect.

Julene Leslie said:

Hi Graeme,

Yes, I understand they update regularly.  My TV automatically updates its software and I have double checked it has the latest version running.  It appears it doesn't make any difference to on demand whether it's updated or not unfortunately.

Thanks.

Graeme Simpson said:

What model Sony?

Yeah, I get freeview through the TV via an app.  The TV also plays Netflix and YouTube fine.  I don't get any message at all.  It just attempts to play the program but doesn't load.  I don't know if the browser can not be up to date if it is updated to the lastest available update released can it?

Graeme Simpson said:

OK We have

Sony KDL-40W660E

We use a satellite freeview receiver. The on demand content is coming through the freeview reciever.

The TV is not showing on demand app as an option but works fine with Netflix and youtube. Perhaps Sony have dropped the on demand app from their options?

Update

I tried accessing On demand through the web browser app on the TV.

When attempting to play it gave message that the necessary DRM plugins are not enabled. This is what I used to get on my laptop so it suggests Sonys browser is not up to date in this respect.

Julene Leslie said:

Hi Graeme,

Thanks.

Graeme Simpson said:

What model Sony?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

NETWORK STATUS ALERTS

See Network Status page for updates.

Freeview On Demand Changes Read More Here

Quick Links

© 2024   Created by Bel @ Freeview.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service